Saturday, June 9, 2012

Camachile Cookies

When I was a kid, our family would go to a restaurant in Cubao called "Pancit ng Taga Malabon" and papa would treat us to a sumptuous pancit palabok after enjoying playtime at the Fiesta Carnival. Their staple appetizer was a plate of biscuit cookies called Camachile, which I enjoyed very much.




Years later, when I was introduced to the lengua or lingua de gato - a very common Pinoy pasalubong treat from Baguio City - it easily reminded me of the Camachile, only that the lengua is much thinner, and the Camachile crunchier.

The name Camachile is derived from the Camachile tree, which produces these edible fruits.

Edible fruits from the Camachile tree

As you can see, the shape of the cookies resemble that of the Camachile fruit, which is probably why they named it that way. This shape is a very distinct feature of the snack and if not for it, it can just be called a butter cookie or a plain biscuit.

These cookie biscuits are no different from others because they have the same ingredients and recipes for biscuits.

Ingredients for Camachile Cookies:
  • Enriched Wheat Flour
  • Fresh Eggs
  • Sugar
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Salt
  • Shortening
  • Butter
  • Baking Soda
They be made the same way as other butter cookies or biscuits but what I really love about this Pinoy snack is that it reminds me of childhood. The bout of nostalgia that I get from this takes me back to days of innocence when I thought Cubao was a magical place. Well I still think Cubao is magical, you only have to go to the right places.

Another thing I love about it is that it isn't too sweet nor too bland. It can stand alone as a merienda or you can dip it in peanut butter, chocolate or vanilla spread, any type of jam or the Visayan latik (the la tik in the Visayas is a syrup derived or made from coconut milk and sugar, usually accompanying suman and kalamay).

You can also combine it with other Filipino recipes - just like what Pancit ng Taga Malabon did (or does - I haven't been to any Pancit ng Taga Malabon branch so I can't really tell if they still serve it as dessert or appetizer). I think they serve it before the dish itself so that your taste buds will have a fresher experience when you eat the pancit.



Anyway, if you happen to go to Philippine provinces, pasalubong stores usually sell  these. For P10.00, I was brought back to that happy place I treasured when I was a kid.

【ツ】Jam

No comments:

Post a Comment