Sunday, July 15, 2012

Casa Naimas: A taste of Ilocos at the heart of QC

Coming from a family with Ilocano taste buds, I came to appreciate the unconventional way of preparing classic food items such as Langgonisa and Empanada.

Unlike the Longganisa from most parts of Luzon that Pinoys have grown accustomed to, the Ilocano Longganisa, is not sweet but looks basically the same as the traditional langgonisa, sans the color. Marinated with the well-known vinegars from Ilocos, the Iloko Longganisa is salty and garlicky and quite perfect for the palate of the grown up.

Meanwhile, the Ilocano Empanada is a treat that may not appeal to many but may grow on some if they have an open mind (and stomach) to appreciate what it offers.


My friend, Katbau and I first discovered this type of empanada from Ilocos at Market Market. We were just curious then and we eventually loved it especially when served hot. Dipping it in vinegar brought the Ilocano experience to another level. Since then, I've always been on the lookout for the Ilocano Empanada.

My friend told me before that there is a restaurant in the Timog / Tomas Morato area where I can find this but they told me it closed down so I didn't bother looking for it. But just recently, somebody told me the exact place where I can find an Ilocano empanada and last Saturday, I went there on my own.

Casa Naimas

Casa Naimas is just a stones throw away from the intersection of Morato and Kamuning, near the corner where BDO is. It's a quaint little spot at the heart of Quezon City, reminiscent of the old houses in Vigan.








I bought the P50 Ilocos Empanada, which included vegetables and 1 egg.

The Ilocos Empanada consists of a crunchy dough and the delicious veggies, meat and langgonisa inside.

The vinegar used is called Sweet Sorghum and is also one of their best sellers. My father said it tasted like the sugarcane vinegar from Ilocos called Sukang Basi. This vinegar is healthier though, I think.


My Iloko empanada lunch was really very satisfying not just because of its big size, but mostly because of its contents. The crunchy thin crust dough + the vegetables + longganisa + egg with the Iloko vinegar is my kind of meal and I didn't even need rice to become full!

 I brought home an empanada for Papa, who hasn't tasted one yet. He seemed to love it too because he wasn't talking when he was eating it.


I'll definitely come back for more Ilocano food! =)

- Jam

No comments:

Post a Comment